Sunday, July 8, 2012

What Does Your Resume Say About You?

As many job hunters know, resumes can be a tricky subject. There is so much varying advice out there that it is often difficult to know how to approach your resume. On the one hand, you can be creative and different with the presentation of it, but many "experts" warn against it, stating that too much pizzazz can overshadow the most important part: the content. However, on the other hand, conventional resumes, depending on the company or institution, can appear dull, boring, and lacking effort.

So, how does one go about formatting their resume? To me, it would depend largely on the company, and on your own personality. When looking at your resume, what do you see? Do you see something exciting? Do you see a person that is passionate about their work? Do you see anything at all? If you look at your resume and you feel uninspired or bored, then more than likely you need to spruce it up! This is what happened to me just the other day. I took a look at my resume, and I proceeded to yawn. Where was the passion that I felt for International Education? Where was it that demonstrated that I was capable of excelling in an international office? 

Hence, I have taken it upon myself to give my resume a makeover. Where once there was dull black and white with far too much text and not enough design, there is now color and more concise information. I believe it is a step in the right direction, but perhaps the best thing that you can do to update your resume is to add more professional, educational, or volunteer experience relevant to the career you are seeking to break into!

Take a look at your resume, and really ask yourself if it is a reflection of your personality and of your passion for the job. If it is not, then maybe that is part of the reason why you are not getting any callbacks! 

Next Post: What is Comprehensive Internationalization?

Rule #10 for Breaking into the Field of International Education: Compose a resume that is a true reflection of your passion and your talents.

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/zack-wright/49/b26/265

No comments:

Post a Comment