Thursday, June 21, 2012

Job Applications and You

I am curious as to what other people think about this. So far, since June 6, I have applied to 11 jobs in the field of international education. On each one, I have taken the time to thoroughly review the job description, research the university and what sort of programs they have, and then adjust my resume accordingly for each unique position. Some positions are very similar, whereas others a very different. Some deal more with advising study abroad students, whereas others focus on international students and immigration.


But that raises the question- How many applications should you be sending out? Should you go for every available position you think you qualify for, or should you be more selective? I have read on some job seeker advice boards that you should be very selective, not even applying to more than one per week. Whereas others advise you to bombard employers with your applications, so long as the positions are practically the same. Tweak your resume and cover letter a bit, but otherwise just churn out the applications until you find a job.
I'm sure all job hunters have wanted to believe this from time to time!


Though times are hard, and it is difficult to be selective (especially when you are currently unemployed like myself), I tend to fall more on the selective side. That said, I have on average applied to around 4 jobs per week, but that does not mean I have simply regurgitated my resume and cover letter to each school. I spend nearly my entire day researching, making notes, analyzing the school, and then keeping the notes in a binder for future reference. I now know more about international education than I ever have, simply by researching and analyzing the different programs. I have learned what I like about some programs, and what I dislike. I have learned what is a large amount of international students studying at a school (over 7,000!) and what are small numbers. Indeed, you begin to understand more the process of working in an international office, and that it is anything from easy.


The other important question that remains to be answered is: Will this get me anywhere? Currently, I am still waiting to hear back from any of the schools that I applied to. You have to be patient, and you have to be diligent, two very important aspects of the job search that I have mentioned in previous posts. However, at the end of the day, the more you research and prepare for a job application, the more likely you will be asked for an interview, which in these times, is a modern miracle!


Rule #4 for Breaking into the Field of International Education: Research and take notes of all places you apply to, and save those notes for future reference.


LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/zack-wright/49/b26/265

No comments:

Post a Comment