Tuesday, June 19, 2012

All Work and No Play Makes Zack a Dull Boy

So, here we are, three posts in and on day 3 of the job search, and already I have veered off the subject of finding a job in International Education. Or have I?


You see, an important part of looking for work when unemployed is taking time out to not look for work when you are unemployed. This means enjoying yourself every once and a while, really appreciating your time off and investing some time in the things you love. For me today, this meant focusing my energies toward a truly important cause: rooting for England against Ukraine in the Euro Cup!
Wayne Rooney's header relates to International Education, right? 
But seriously, while being unemployed what I have noticed truly helps me when I am feeling a bit low is to take a moment, and just breathe. If I am working 24/7 on job hunting, often at the end of the day I feel a bit deflated. Let's face it, finding a job takes time, and spending a little time doing the things you love will not keep you from getting a job. In fact, more than likely they probably will help you enter the career of your dreams. Hobbies keep you motivated and boost your self-confidence, two vital components of securing an open position.


A few more of my hobbies are playing football (soccer), hiking, reading, writing, and playing pool, among various other activities that I fill my day with when I am not scouring the job market or networking. For me, it is finding an activity where I can feel constructive, where I can work towards achieving something. I am a very goal oriented individual, so challenging myself to complete a long hike, read a novel that I have on my bucket list, or improve my pool game are all things that I work on.  


So, set aside some time during your day and do anything other than look for work. Your email does not need to be checked every 15 minutes, now does it?


Rule #3 for Breaking into the Field of International Education: Focus on Yourself and the Things You Love!


My LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/zack-wright/49/b26/265

No comments:

Post a Comment